My Nursing and Business Hypertext Narrative
Nurse-or-Businessman.
Word count: 1442
Choice count: 32
Section count: 21
Image count: 21
Error count: 1
Field Related Analysis
Education : 68 matches
(choice, compensation, courses, diploma, field, high school, instructor, learn, learned, management, market, options, private, reading, research, school, skills, student, taught, term, test, trainee, training, university, vacation, vision)Paramedics : 52 matches
(care, clinical, department, depression, diploma, doctors, emergency, emergency care, hospital, injuries, medicine, nurse, nurses, nursing, patient, patients, perform, profession, resuscitation, shock, skills, stroke, surgery, trainee)Business : 44 matches
(benefits, business, clients, company, competitive, deal, entrepreneurship, management, market, money, mortgage, paid, products, real estate, retail, stock, team, trade, trainee, venture, expenses)Target Structure: (49 matches)
abolish (1 match)
abolishes (1 match)
alienation (1 match)
background check (1 match)
compensation (1 match)
cursory (1 match)
dead-end job (1 match)
drawback (1 match)
flirtation (1 match)
foot in the door (1 match)
fulfillment (1 match)
hr (1 match)
in-depth (1 match)
income (1 match)
internship (3 matches)
internships (1 match)
invaluable (1 match)
lack of (1 match)
learn the ropes (1 match)
learned the ropes (1 match)
leave of absence (1 match)
leg work (1 match)
maddening (1 match)
misconduct (1 match)
more often (1 match)
mortgage (1 match)
ojt (1 match)
on-the-job-training (1 match)
overtime (1 match)
overwhelmed (1 match)
compensation package (1 match)
pension (1 match)
perpetrator (1 match)
premium wage (1 match)
purpose (1 match)
put aside (1 match)
retirement (1 match)
sexual harassment (1 match)
straight a's (1 match)
test drive (1 match)
more often than not (1 match)
though (1 match)
thoughtful (1 match)
time management (1 match)
trainee (1 match)
vacant position (1 match)
wage (2 matches)
worthwhile (1 match)
assets (1 match)
Nurse-or-Businessman.
Who do I want to Become?
It was the end of the high school. I wasn't sure who I wanted to become. Nevertheless, many options were available to me.
Choice 1 : Become a nurse.
Choice 2 : Become a businessman.

Become a nurse.
I decided to do a Nursing program. Now, where should I do it?
Choice 1 : Apply to Cégep de Thetford.
Choice 2 : Apply to University of Laval.
Become a businessman.
Instead of going to university, I chose to join my father in his retail business. He owned three clothing stores and gave me a real test drive of the trade. It was great, but I wanted to be my own boss.
Choice 1 : Start my own company.
Choice 2 : Stay with my father.
Apply to Cégep de Thetford.
I decided to enroll in the three-year Nursing program at Cégep de Thetford. This meant, I had to relocate to Thetford and take full responsibility of my living expenses. So, I needed a part-time job. What was I going to do?
Choice 1 : Work as Personal Support Worker.
Choice 2 : Work at MacDonald's.
Apply to University of Laval.
My application was rejected because the program is highly competitive and there were no spots left.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Work as Personal Support Worker.
Since I was doing my clinical internships at the hospital, I was hired as Personal Support Worker with an hourly wage of $26. Before I could start, I had to complete a four-week OJT with an experienced colleague, which allowed me to learn the ropes and become familiar with the daily realities of patient care. I saw what it truly meant for nurses to care for patients, cleaning their wounds, changing their bandages, setting up IV lines, and collaborating with doctors. Should I work every weekend?
Choice 1 : Yes.
Choice 2 : No.
Work at MacDonald's.
I worked at the fry station, and I did my job in a diligent and thoughtful way. But one day, I burned my hand with boiling oil, and I decided to resign. I wanted another part-time job.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Yes.
Working every weekends left me with very little time to study, so I had to rely on strong time management skills to stay organized and maintain straight A's. I was so brilliant that all of my professors liked me, and at the end of my second year, one of them helped me obtain two internship offers: one for two months in the United States and another for one month in Japan.
Choice 1 : I go to USA.
Choice 2 : I go to Japan.
No.
I preferred to enjoy the benefits of student life and to have, more often than not, some time to meet new people. I could live well with a modest income. I didn't want to be overwhelmed by work and studies. I had courses such as surgery, medicine, and emergency care, where we were taught to use clinical judgment and to administer medications intravenously, subcutaneously, and by inhalation. In surgery, we learned postoperative care. When I finished my Cégep, I started asking myself whether I should apply to work in the operating room or perhaps in the emergency department.
Choice 1 : Emergency.
Choice 2 : Surgery.
I go to USA.
When I arrived in the USA, I was a victim of sexual harassment by the director of the hospital where I was doing my internship. The perpetrator's misconduct made me question whether I really wanted to work in a field that is mostly female.
Choice 1 : Stay.
Choice 2 : Leave.
I go to Japan.
I went to Japan, to a private hospital in Yokohama, for a paid internship where I learned the ins-and-out of the nursing profession. There, I took care of patients with cancer who were undergoing chemotherapy, making sure their condition remained stable, and I also promoted healthy lifestyle habits. I loved my stay in Japan so much that I became certain nursing was truly my calling. The only thing left was to figure out where I wanted to work after graduating.
Choice 1 : Emergency.
Choice 2 : Surgery.
Stay.
When I have a purpose, nothing can stop me. I earned my diploma the following year and went to work in a small remote town in Nunavut, in a private clinic where there was a vacant position and where I was supposed to receive a premium wage. But I ended my life with a lack of fulfillment.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Emergency.
Working in the emergency required a great deal of clinical judgment and patience. We had patients in shock, others in the middle of severe hemorrhages, stroke victims, and people who inflicted terrifying and gruesome injuries on themselves. Sometimes, we had to perform emergency resuscitation. After three years, I fell into depression because of all the atrocities I witnessed, and the relationships with some colleagues were not healthy either. It was clearly a bad choice, so I decided to change careers.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Surgery.
After my interview with the HR, a background check was conducted, I started on September 4th with my on-the-job-training. After two months of training, my instructor said I was the best trainee of the year. Once my training period was over, I began doing overtime, so I could put aside some money to travel to Mexico for my vacation, especially since one of the nurses was on a leave of absence and extra shifts were available. I have been working in this department for 29 years, and even today, I still love what I do, and I am proud to have chosen this profession. In a year, I will retire, and I will have a good pension for my retirement.
Choice 1 : Start again.
Start my own company.
I began doing in-depth research and reading books on entrepreneurship because I wanted to create my own company. Getting a foot in the door of the business world showed me what it really takes, and I learned the ropes through all the leg work. I wanted to abolish the alienation that so many workplaces create and replace it with a culture that abolishes unnecessary hierarchy. Should I start a home-cleaning business or a hairdressing business?
Choice 1 : Home-cleaning business.
Choice 2 : Hairdressing business.
Stay with my father.
I ended up staying with my father, and it became the worst mistake of my life. He tried to control every decision, and even though the compensation package was good, I felt trapped. Working with my own father was maddening, no autonomy, no space to breathe. Yet, in a strange way, the experience was invaluable because it showed me exactly what kind of leader I never wanted to become.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Home-cleaning business.
I launched the business, but it never took off. My employees did only cursory, mediocre work, and clients never called back. To get clients, I even tried a bit of flirtation with older ladies, all in vain. I ended up going back to work with my father, which turned out to be a dead-end job.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Hairdressing business.
Once I had bought a set of professional scissors, clippers, a hair dryer, hair products, a styling chair, a mirror, towels, and capes, I opened my home-hairdressing business. Against all odds, it took off instantly. Clients loved it, demand exploded, and I soon had to recruit a whole team. That single creative idea became the drive of my work, a worthwhile venture that turned me into the millionaire I am today. After that success, I moved into real estate and acquired several properties, taking on each mortgage as part of my long-term vision. Should I invest in the stock market or not?
Choice 1 : Invest in stock market.
Choice 2 : Do not invest in stock market.
Invest in stock market.
On a friend's recommendation, I invested massively into the shares of a promising company. When the company collapsed, I lost everything. The real drawback was how quickly I got sucked in by the promise of easy gains.
Choice 1 : Start again and make a better choice.
Do not invest in stock market.
I chose to stay in real estate, and the pull of the sector kept my assets growing.
Choice 1 : Start again.
Comments
Post a Comment